Torah Portion Week 5 21-22
Chayei Sarah – “Life of Sarah” – Gen 23:1 – 25:18
23:1-2 – The Sarah you never saw:
Jasher 23:1-19 https://sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/23.htm
- Compassion (tender) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+145%3A8-9%2C+1+pet+1%3A22%2C+rom+12%3A10%2C+&version=KJV
- Reminder of the servant forgiven the debt
Jubilees 19:1-9 https://parableofthevineyard.com/cepher/jubilees/#c19
- Take it patiently: Sirach 2:1-11 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=sirach+2%3A1-11%2C+&version=RSV
Writings of Abraham 148-151, 153, https://parableofthevineyard.com/wp-content/uploads/Order-of-The-Ancients.pdf
23:7 – These are more deeds of Abraham, completely humble. Who is our neighbor (Good Samaritan)?
Winning Souls Writings of Abraham 55, 80
- How can we ever think to make true converts hating the people outside of covenant
- Contrast with how jews today think of outsiders?
24:19 – Deeds of Sarah https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+pet+3%3A1-7&version=KJV
“And the man entered the house, and Laban undid the gear of the camels, and gave the camels straw and provender; and water (to Eliezer) to wash his feet, and the feet of the men who were with him. And he set in order before him to eat, prepared food in which was poison to kill; but he objected to it, and said, I will not eat, until I have spoken my words.”
“And he arose in the morning, and said, Send me away to my master. But as they were talking in the evening, Bethuel had eaten of that prepared food; and in the morning they found that he was dead”
Jasher corroborates that Laban was not a follower of Yahuah, but an Idolator.
25:8 – Jubilees 22:10-23:8