Torah Portion Week 6 – 22-23
Toldot – “generations” or “descendants”
25:19 – 28:9
25:21 – Rebekah was barren (Read Jasher 25:28-26:8)
25:23 – Read Jasher 26:9-12
25:25 – Targums
25:26-27 – The name Jacob – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_(name)
- Jacob/Esau 2 Esdras (changing of the times – New age – Enoch Dream Vision) https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Esdras+6%3A1-10&version=RSV
- Read extra details of Esau and Jacob (Jasher 26:17-18)
25:28 – Not judging Isaac, but what is this all about?
- Jubilees 19:13-31 https://parableofthevineyard.com/cepher/jubilees/#c19
- Was it the venison (meat) that blinded his eyes? https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Ecclesiasticus-20-29/
25:34 – Read Jasher part 27:1-16
26:5 – Compare with Gen 15:6
26:14-16 – Envy (evil thoughts drive people to do evil deeds)
- Testament of Simeon 1:7-20 https://sacred-texts.com/bib/fbe/fbe269.htm
26:20 – Esek “contention”
26:21 – Sitnah “hostility”
26:23 – We all have our trials, large or small.
- Abimilech first dealt well with Isaac, then cast him out for his abundant blessing!
- How much more for us in these last days who have been blessed abundantly with understanding in his Torah and the true messiah!! https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=pro+3%3A13-15%2Cmatt+10%3A22%2C+john+15%3A18%2C+john+17%3A14%2C+1+john+3%3A13%2C+is+59%3A15%2C+ps+69%3A1-20&version=KJV
26:25-29 – Coincidence that after seeking Yahuah, he changed the hearts of Abimelech and his crew?
- Let us never forget to petition him on all matters! Psalm 50 https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Psalms-50-15/
- Deut 31:8 – https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Deuteronomy-31-8/
26:30 – Notice Isaac didn’t contend with them but agreed to reunite with them. Merciful, like David, quick to forgive https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Colossians-3-13/
- Testament of Benj 1:22-33 https://sacred-texts.com/bib/fbe/fbe294.htm
26:35 – Targum 26:35
Pause and take a look at Jasher 28 says about the lives of Esau and Jacob)
27:1 – Eyes were dim – compare to moses – https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deut+34%3A5-7&version=CJB
Why the difference? Targums 27:1
27:23 – Targums 27:15-16
27:35 – Is deception ok?
- Remember, this is the will of YHWH https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-25-23/
- Yah is the judge and can grant leniency based off the scenario (think of court, or if an officer pulls you over etc…)
- Lying is not good – don’t get it twisted! https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=+exo+20%3A16%2C+Sirach+7%3A12-13%2C&version=RSV
- Deceiver was deceived later
- Even with a goat for goat (blood on coat of many colors)
- Deception may not be sin, but may reap consequences
(end) Read Jasher 29:11-41 (prepping for why he had to be a servant to Laban)
ALSO – was it ok to lie http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/was-it-okay-for-jacob-to-lie-to-his-father
28:2 – cousin